Frequently asked questions.

Am I eligible to make a claim?

To claim you need to prove:

– Your property has disrepair

– Your Landlord is aware of the disrepair

– Your Landlord has not acted within a reasonable time

What will it cost me?

Nothing. We work on your behalf on a no win, no fee agreement.

How much compensation will I get?

Each case is different but the amount you will receive depends on how bad your property is, how long the property has been in disrepair and the issues it has caused for you and your family.

What are my landlord’s legal duties?

Your landlord has a duty to keep your property well maintained, under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, including:

– The Structure and exterior of your property e.g. Walls, roof, doors, windows, ceilings

– Sinks, baths, toilets, pipes, drains, guttering

– Central Heating, Boiler

– Gas Pipes, Electrical Wiring, and some appliances (e.g. Washing Machine, refrigerator etc.)

– Ensuring your home is free from vermin infestation

How long do I have to claim?

You have 6 years to make a claim starting from when your landlord was made aware of the disrepair. You may still be entitled to make a claim even if you no longer live at the property.

What happens once you have made the claim?

We will deal with your landlord on your behalf and all the repairs your property requires will be completed by your landlord within a set time frame.

What happens if my landlord does not respond?

Our solicitor will send a letter formally making them aware of the claim. If your landlord does not respond then we may be required to issue Court Proceedings.

How long will my case take?

If your case proceeds to court, then it could take between 9 – 12 months. However, in most cases, a letter from our solicitors to your landlord gets them to fix your property and pay you your compensation much earlier.

How much notice should I give my landlord?

You must give your landlord 21 days before making a claim, we can do this for you for free.

Can I stop my rent whilst making a claim?

Unfortunately, not. Even though it seems unfair to continue to pay rent on a property that is in disrepair not paying your rent would be deemed a breach of your tenancy agreement. Your landlord could then make a counterclaim on this basis.

Does it matter who my landlord is?

No. Whether your landlord is the council, a housing association or a private landlord your rights as a tenant do not change and you can make a claim for compensation.