Paying rent on a property
that needs repair?

Get in touch today for free expert advice!

Free no obligation expert advice Free repairs to your property

Free home survey Claim compensation No win no fees

Can I claim?

Your home is in need of repair
Your landlord has knowledge of
the disrepair in your property
Your landlord has failed to repair the
property within a reasonable time

What can I claim for?

  • 1.Compensation for living in a damaged property
  • 2.Personal items that have been damaged due to the disrepair
  • 3.Injury to your health caused by the disrepair
  • 4.Inconvenience caused

How much will I get?

Whilst each case is different, you can receive thousands of pounds worth of damages for the length of time that a personal has had to live with the disrepair. You can also claim for personal items that have been damaged and your rent back. The court can also order your landlord to carry out repairs to your property.

How can we help?

Speak to one of our expert claim assessors for free specialist housing advice and to see if you can qualify for a no win no fee service
We will send someone to visit you, take photos of all the damaged areas and collect your required documents. Our experienced solicitors will arrange a surveyor to carry out a completely free assessment
We will contact your landlord and fight on your behalf. They will have 21 working days to respond

Frequently asked questions.

Am I eligible to make a claim?

To claim you need to prove:

– Your property has disrepair

– Your Landlord is aware of the disrepair

– Your Landlord has not acted within a reasonable time

What will it cost me?

Nothing. We work on your behalf on a no win, no fee agreement.

How much compensation will I get?

Each case is different but the amount you will receive depends on how bad your property is, how long the property has been in disrepair and the issues it has caused for you and your family.

What are my landlord’s legal duties?

Your landlord has a duty to keep your property well maintained, under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, including:

– The Structure and exterior of your property e.g. Walls, roof, doors, windows, ceilings

– Sinks, baths, toilets, pipes, drains, guttering

– Central Heating, Boiler

– Gas Pipes, Electrical Wiring, and some appliances (e.g. Washing Machine, refrigerator etc.)

– Ensuring your home is free from vermin infestation

How long do I have to claim?

You have 6 years to make a claim starting from when your landlord was made aware of the disrepair. You may still be entitled to make a claim even if you no longer live at the property.

What happens once you have made the claim?

We will deal with your landlord on your behalf and all the repairs your property requires will be completed by your landlord within a set time frame.

What happens if my landlord does not respond?

Our solicitor will send a letter formally making them aware of the claim. If your landlord does not respond then we may be required to issue Court Proceedings.

How long will my case take?

If your case proceeds to court, then it could take between 9 – 12 months. However, in most cases, a letter from our solicitors to your landlord gets them to fix your property and pay you your compensation much earlier.

How much notice should I give my landlord?

You must give your landlord 21 days before making a claim, we can do this for you for free.

Can I stop my rent whilst making a claim?

Unfortunately, not. Even though it seems unfair to continue to pay rent on a property that is in disrepair not paying your rent would be deemed a breach of your tenancy agreement. Your landlord could then make a counterclaim on this basis.

Does it matter who my landlord is?

No. Whether your landlord is the council, a housing association or a private landlord your rights as a tenant do not change and you can make a claim for compensation.

Get in touch today for free expert advice